My grandmother, the little girl on the far left, died in 1952 from a stroke at the age of 52. The small photo of me and my sister on the right is the only photo that I have with my grandparents. We moved to California not long after my Grandmother Irene died. Although I didn’t see my grandfather often, I have a few photos and memories for which I am grateful.
I love the effect of partially extracting the people from an old photo. That way I can change a background and add shadows to the people to create depth on my pages. That was my first step for this page, extracting the people from both photos.
Note: I didn’t have a lot of space with which to work in the photo on the left, so I blurred part with brushes on the layer mask. I duplicated each photo and changed the blend mode of the duplicated photos to soft light to increase the contrast.
Next I clipped the photo of my grandfather on the right to overlay 5 from FotoBlendz Overlays No. 12. On the left, I used overlay 1 from the same package. I will add a different background, i.e. artsy paper or artsy transfers to create a background within the mask/overlays.
To fill the black areas, I positioned artsy paper 2 from ArtPlay Palette Fernweh between the photo and mask on the right. On the left, I placed most of the layers of psd transfer 5 from ArtsyTransfers Fernweh between the photo and the overlay.
I continued to build the background on both sides. To the right, I added the layers of transfer 5 from ArtsyTransfers Fernweh. To the left, I positioned the psd layers of files 3 and 5 from the same set.
Note: When I work with Anna’s transfer layers, I often move them around, add layer masks to hide parts of a layer I don’t want or delete layers.
Once I had finished the background for each photo, I placed the small frames and thread from Hipster Plume Template Album No. 1 on the right. I clipped my photos to the frame masks. Below the frames, I added file 4 from MultiMedia Branches No. 10, reducing the size and adjusting the position. On the left, behind my grandmother, I placed file 1 from MultiMedia Branches No. 1o. I reduced the size of those layers, added masks so that the layers didn’t interfere with the photo and changed the position of other layers, i.e. the button. Finally, I added wrote my journaling and a title.
Although these pages took time, I enjoyed every minute.